Monday, January 30, 2023

Darnell Fullum, DeKalb County's Fire Chief since 2014, has Pennsylvania roots

DeKalb County Fire Chief Darnell Fullum dreamed of being a fireman while he was growing up in Beaver Falls, Pa., according to a profile in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

Fullum was appointed Dekalb County's fire chief by CEO Lee May in 2014 after 26 years with Fulton County's fire department. He replaced Eddie O'Brien, who had been with DeKalb County's first department for 25 years.

In his DeKalb County office, Fullum has a photo of a Beaver Falls fire station he walked past every day as a child. He says it helps "keep me humble in my quest to be the best I can be in my emergency management role."

He tells the newspaper that he is putting an emphasis on hiring women firefighters. "Nationwide there's just about 6% of women in our industry. We can do better, and I hope to attract more women under my watch," he says.