Wednesday, September 23, 2020

DeKalb County Commissioner Steve Bradshaw issues "Memorial Drive Study" statement

On the eve of a scheduled Board of Commissioners vote to amend DeKalb County's Comprehensive Plan, Commissioner Steve Bradshaw has issued a statement entitled "Memorial Drive Study." Here is the full text of Bradshaw's statement:

Dear Fellow Citizens:

Tomorrow evening, an item will appear on the zoning agenda regarding the Memorial Drive Revitalization Study. I will be making the motion to approve this item. As a result of this action, this study will be adopted as a part of our Planning and Sustainability Comprehensive Plan.

As this item has made its way through our zoning cycle, I have observed and listened as others have commented. Now, it is time for you as my constituents to hear directly from me on this matter.

I would like to begin by thanking the folks at Pond and Co. for managing an outstanding process and producing an excellent report. At the beginning of this process, my charge to them was to produce a document that would provide us with what I call “actionable intelligence” as opposed to just another report that would be collecting dust on a shelf somewhere. That mission objective has been achieved. I was impressed with Pond’s methodology from the beginning. And I am pleased with the study results.

Likewise, I would like to commend and thank our Planning and Sustainability Department for their professionalism and support throughout this process. This would not have been possible without their diligence.

I would also like to thank the majority of the District 4 Community Council for voting to approve this item, despite the nonsense that took place at the meeting on August 18, 2020. Likewise, I would like to thank the Planning Commission for their unanimous vote to approve this item. I was also pleased with the overwhelming display of support that was expressed by members of the community during the public comment portion of the Board of Commissioners meeting yesterday. I trust that my colleagues on the Board of Commissioners will support my motion to approve this item.

Most of all, I would like to thank the community for their positive and decisive engagement in this process. This element of the process was outstanding as evidenced by the numbers. Over 900 people participated in the online survey. Not 9. Not 90. Over 900 people. 

The first community engagement meeting drew over 200 attendees. All other community meetings were well attended also. Other examples of community engagement are embedded in the report. The community response is indicative of a sincere interest in this process and a desire to move forward in a positive manner. This report is a direct by-product of that community engagement. I am so proud of our community.

In July 2018, I allocated $140k of my reserves to fund this study. This was augmented with an allocation of $35k from our Planning and Sustainability Department. It has been money well spent. But this study is just one element of an overall vision for the Memorial Drive area. 

I have also allocated $81k to explore the feasibility of establishing a Community Improvement District (CID) on Memorial Drive. And I have allocated over $1 million to transform Avondale Dunaire Park which is just off Memorial Drive. My point is this, while others talk and engage in naysaying, nitpicking, and attempts to obstruct, I take action. Positive, tangible action.

No one study or report can be all things to all people and address all challenges. However, this report is a positive step in the right direction. 

Still, the following must be stated in the clearest terms possible. As I have said on many occasions, the revitalization of the Memorial Drive area is a massive undertaking and will be a long and arduous process with twists and turns and ups and downs. Memorial Drive did not get to be where it is overnight, and we will not experience fully formed results overnight. But I am committed to this task. And I am confident that most of my constituents want this forward, step by step progress to continue. If this describes you, I would ask that you make your thoughts and feelings known to all relevant parties. Simply stated, I cannot do this alone. I need your help.  

What I am totally unwilling to do, is to allow a handful of misguided people to thwart the aspirations and desires of the vast majority. Not on my watch!

Thank you so much for your continued support and for the opportunity to serve. I really appreciate you!